by Connor | Apr 29, 2023 | Roofing
Put shortly… yes and no. EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer, which is a type of synthetic rubber. On the other hand, rubber roofing is a broad term that can refer to any type of roofing material made from rubber. So, EPDM is a type of rubber roofing, but not all rubber roofing is EPDM.
EPDM roofing is popular due to its durability, weather resistance, and energy efficiency. A highly skilled EPDM roofing Atlanta company confirm that it is commonly used on flat roofs and can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance. It is also easy to install and can be a cost-effective solution in the long run.
Rubber roofing, on the other hand, can refer to a variety of materials, including EPDM, but also TPO and PVC, for instance. It is important to note that not all rubber roofing options have the same durability and weather resistance as EPDM roofing. PVC and TPO have their unique characteristics, such as being highly resistant to UV radiation and chemical exposure, which makes them popular in commercial roofing applications. However, they may not be as flexible as EPDM and can be more expensive.
If you are considering getting a new roof or replacing an existing one, it is important to consult with a professional roofing contractor in Atlanta to help you understand the best roofing options for your needs and budget.
by Connor | Mar 16, 2023 | Roofing
TPO roofing is a popular choice for commercial and residential buildings in Atlanta due to its durability, energy efficiency, and ease of installation. However, there are some potential drawbacks to consider when using TPO roofing in Atlanta:
- TPO roofing can absorb a lot of heat, especially in warm climates like Atlanta. This can cause the material to expand and contract, leading to potential damage over time.
- These types of roofs can degrade over time due exposure to UV rays. In areas like Atlanta where there is a lot of sun exposure, it’s important to choose a TPO roofing system with adequate UV protection to prevent premature aging and degradation.
- The quality of a TPO installation can vary depending on the contractor. It’s important for your contractor to have experience working on TPO roofing systems, to ensure that the installation is done correctly.
- If your TPO roof is not installed properly or the roof structure is not designed to slope correctly, ponding water can occur on the roof surface. This can lead to leaks and other water damage issues.
- TPO roofing is available in limited color options compared to other roofing materials. This can make it more challenging to match the roofing to the rest of the building’s aesthetic.
It is important to talk to TPO roofing Atlanta specialists from Superior Commercial Roofing & Contracting. They will provide you with the best information about commercial roofing so you can make an informed decision when it comes to quality commercial roof installation and repairs.
by Connor | Feb 20, 2023 | Roofing
Even though TPO flat membrane roofing systems have the advantage of being among the most economical and sustainable on the market, the initial investments are still significant. In order to take advantage from their TPO roof, building owners must periodically deal with maintenance operations.
The following are some expert tips from TPO roofing Atlanta authorities on cleaning and maintaining TPO membranes:
- If you use pressurized water to clean the roof, protect any area where water may infiltrate.
- Protect the plants and exterior facades to prevent them from getting into contact with the cleaning solutions used on the roof.
- Use water at low pressure to clean and rinse the roof cover of dust and dirt (high pressure washers are not recommended because they may affect the integrity of the membrane).
- Use a soft brush or a floor mop with a cleaning solution consisting of a light and non-abrasive household detergent and water, preferably slightly warm, to clean the surface of the roof membrane; be careful not cause any accidental damage.
- Inspect the membrane and make sure that it is intact; any defect must be repaired as soon as possible by qualified contractors.
The access on the roof should be allowed only to roofing specialists, because they know what to do and how to walk on the roof to avoid causing any damage. Besides, the requirements related to work safety must be complied with, because the roofing operations are carried out at height, and a wet membrane, covered with cleaning substances, can be very slippery.
by Connor | Feb 13, 2023 | Roofing
Taking into account the variety of materials from which roofs can be built, specialists recommend choices based on quality instead of cost. Metal is one of the most popular roofing materials, and usually the cost of the roof is influenced by factors such as: the raw material used in the manufacture of the metal shingles or panels, the presence or absence of quality indicators. According to metal roofing Atlanta specialists, other factors include: the warranty certificate, the colors and finishes, the service life of the metal roof, the accessories used, the joints, the machinery and technology used in the processing of metal, as well as the shape of the roof.
When it comes to costs, it is important to remember that by purchasing a metal roof you invest in a quality product, the cost of which pays off over time, and which brings added value to your home.
Moreover, a metal roof helps you reduce energy costs. The difference between metal and any other roofing material is how it interacts with the sun. While many other materials absorb heat from the sun and transfer it indoors, mainly because of their dark color, a metal roof has a surface that reflect solar radiation. In this way, the effort exerted by the heating and cooling systems of your home is reduced, and the energy costs can be 20% lower.
by Connor | Dec 15, 2022 | Roofing
Bituminous membranes are materials for waterproofing that are used quite often for commercial roofing in Atlanta. They are made of modified bitumen to which elasto-plastomer polymers are added, and they are manufactured with different finishes on the upper side (sand, aluminum foil, mineral slate, etc.)
Different uses include:
- Preventing water infiltration through the roof
- Restoration of flat commercial roofs
- Waterproofing circulating or non-circulating flat roofs
According to trusted EPDM roofing Atlanta contractors, before purchasing bituminous membranes, the complexity of the work to be performed must be taken into account, in order to choose the right membrane from the point of view of the quality-price ratio (do not to buy membranes for roads and bridges if you have to insulate the roof!).
Bituminous membranes can be put into operation at an ambient temperature between +5 degrees C and +35 degrees C.
- The most important advantages of the membranes made from additive bitumen are the cold flexibility (up to -25 degrees Celsius) and the hot stability, between 110 and 130 degrees Celsius. These two technical characteristics differentiate additive membranes from oxidized bitumen membranes. Unfavorable weather conditions such as rain, snow or humidity of the surface to be insulated can compromise the quality of the work.
- Keep in mind that the required materials must be 1.12 / 1.15 times larger than the measured surface, due to the longitudinal and transverse overlaps when applying the membranes, and the losses that occur at the joints.
by Connor | Dec 7, 2022 | Roofing
Flat roofing is a great option for commercial buildings. But when you have any kind of issues with it, or if you want to have it inspected properly, it is essential to hire the right commercial roofer Atlanta businesses recommend for the job.
Commercial roofing should be checked at least two times per year. Because the roof is an essential part of your commercial building, any kind of leaks or minor problem can cause you to experience severe losses, which may result in your need for spending excessive amounts of money in the long run. Roof inspections should definitely be performed not only after severe weather events, but also a few months before them, to make sure that everything is fine and to take all the required precautions in due time.
Roofing systems provide insulation for your building. So if you notice an increase in your monthly bills, this should be a sign that your roof is in danger and you need to call on a professional team as soon as possible.
The building may also experience cracks, leaks, warp, etc. which could be caused by the flashing. Roof flashing works as the sealant which protects your roof from leaks and, if it gets damage, it obviously does not do its job anymore.