Although, in the past, the best type of roof was considered to be the pitched roof, nowadays, flat roofs have become much more popular and not only when it comes to commercial or industrial buildings.
A full service Atlanta commercial roofing contractor confirms that the advantages of flat roofs make them very suitable for Atlanta climate, as well as for the needs of local business owners:
- modern and aesthetic look
- moderate construction costs
- low maintenance costs
- stability of the microclimate in the indoor space below the roof by preventing heat loss in winter and overheating in summer
- reduced vulnerability to wind and hail
- potential for a high ecological contribution
- better use of the space inside the building
- the possibility to use the roof for various purposes (installation of photovoltaic panels, arrangement of a green terrace, etc.)
The execution of a flat roof is demanding, especially when it comes to waterproofing. It is also essential to plan and execute the drainage system well and to ensure an impeccable vapor barrier to prevent excessive moisture build-up.
Proper waterproofing of a flat roof provides very good protection against water infiltration and moisture. Nowadays, waterproofing membranes are very efficient, resistant to exposure, and very elastic, ensuring a very long lifespan. That is why flat roofs are the type most Atlanta businesses tend to use.